Saturday, July 4, 2015

"Best Friends in the Rain" - Melted Crayon Art



I've had a half-finished project in the garage for months.  Melted crayon art is something I wanted to give a try for a long time.  I purchased a box of 62 (I think) Crayola crayons at Dollar General, glued them to a 16" x 20" canvas in a rainbow-inspired order with their names facing outward, taped off an area with painter's tape where my image would go, and that is how the project sat for months in the garage.

This morning during a Gabby nap, I decided it was time to finish. I set up a few cardboard boxes as a little station behind and underneath to avoid a mess.  The cardboard behind the art was similar to a science fair board so that the sides would capture any crayon spray.  I held the heat source (a heat gun) at a 45 degree angle above the point of the crayons to get it to drip down relatively straight and varied the tilt on the canvas to get the crayons to dry at different distances.

Once I was satisfied with the look of the crayons.  I used Mod Podge to adhere and seal the image I found online on the canvas after removing the painter's tape....and BOOM...done!  It was a lot of fun and really easy.  I will say there was a little smoke, so next time (and there will be a next time) I will probably use a lower heat setting on a hair dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment